Friday, March 9, 2012

Tropical Shrimp Salad with Guest Mary Curry!


Tropical Shrimp Salad
By Mary Curry

            If you think of SPEEDBO as a writing retreat happening somewhere that looks a lot like Seekerville’s Unpubbed Island, then this dish is a perfect fit.

It’s fast, tropical, and Captain Jack is sure to want a taste.




Ingredients:
Pineapple (Canned is fine; the whole one just looked pretty!)
Shredded Coconut
Shrimp (I used the pre-cooked, deveined shrimp from COSTCO)
Greens
Coconut Oil
Ginger (just a shake)
A shake of granulated garlic (if you like)

Because the shrimp is precooked, the longest part of this meal prep is washing the greens. You can use them fresh, but I blanched them because I wanted it as a hot meal rather than a salad.

Once your greens are prepared, scoop a tablespoon or so of coconut oil into the pan. Add the shrimp and stir fry for a few minutes until the shrimp are warmed through. Sprinkle with some ginger and garlic if you like.
Toss in the pineapple with its juice.
Stir and heat. The pineapple juice will really sweeten the shrimp.
Spoon onto the bed of greens. The pineapple juice provides the dressing.
Garnish with the shredded coconut and enjoy!


A couple of notes.  I’ve done a lot of reading recently about how coconut oil undeservedly got a bad rep because of hydrogenation. In it’s natural state it’s really healthy for you and much better for cooking than other oils. I used organic, virgin coconut oil that’s unrefined.

If you don’t feel like eating shrimp, I did a similar recipe using chicken breasts that I poached in a Almond milk/coconut milk blend. Yum!  The chicken was so sweet and tender. I just shredded that onto the greens and tossed in some orange slices with the pineapple.



This picture is my faithful companion, Fenny, who just figured out there’s shrimp on the table. Wish we had sound effects so you could hear him moaning for shrimp!


16 comments:

  1. I'm sorry I got Mary's recipe up an hour late! I hope no one tried to check it out earlier. I was at a concert in Atlanta that went waaay longer than I expected! Although it was fantastic, so I'm not complaining. :)

    Good night! I'll check back in the a.m. Mary, I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are killing me. This looks so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Missy.

    Are y'all seeing the pictures? They're not coming through for me. Missy, let me know if you need me to resend them.

    I want to tempt Tina even more. *cue evil laughter*

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pictures aren't coming through for me, either. Can we still blame the solar flare, or is it too late?

    This sounds like an awesome lunch or dinner!

    What kinds of greens did you use? Would lettuce alone work?

    I CAN hear Fenway groaning away, just from the way you described him! My Connor does the same thing when I start peeling carrots. Yup, my dog the carrot lover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I'm sure lettuce would be fine. I used a spring mix just because it looked pretty in the package. I think last time I used a spinach/arugula mix.

      Fenway loves carrots too. Not as much as shrimp. I think he thinks they're shredded cheese. Can you tell I spoil him - badly.

      Delete
  5. They were showing for me last night!! I don't know what happened. I'll go fix right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, how about now?? Can you see precious Fenny? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can! Thanks, Missy.

      Sorry, it's been a hectic day at school and I didn't have a chance to check in before now.

      Delete
  7. Jan, that's so funny you should say that. I recently dropped some shredded carrots and my dog ate them! He also ate some other veggie I dropped--I think it was a spinach leaf. I thought for sure he'd spit it out!

    This is the same dog who gets really weird in the summer (and even some in the winter this year) and won't eat his food for a whole day. Maybe I have a vegetarian dog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks awesome! The pics didn't work for me on Explorer... Then I tried Google Chrome and it was perfect!

    Mary, I love this. And Fenway is so stinkin' cute. I need a puppy named Jeter.

    Or just Jeter himself.

    :)

    If Derek Jeter came to lunch, I'd feed him THIS, Mary. That's how good it looks!

    Awesome, Toots!

    And how about a pineapple upside down cake for dessert? I haven't had that in years and years and years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Captain Jack didn't show up to claim it so I can Jeter can have it, Ruthy. Except he'll have to fight off Fenway. EPIC!

      Hmmm, I haven't had pineapple upside down cake in ages either.

      Delete
  9. NOW I see the pictures! Wow, that looks SO GOOD!

    ...and let me get my pen....yup, shrimp are on the grocery list.

    Missy, my dog loves his veggies. And meat. And bread. And anything else that isn't tied down. I think the experts would call him "food oriented".

    But carrots and raw sweet potatoes are definite favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL, Jan!

    Ruthy, I wonder if Derek Jeter ever gets Google alerts and wonders who this Ruth Logan Herne person is who always mentions him. :)

    I've never made a pineapple upside down cake! Must try it soon. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kav! I just got an email from Martha Stewart Living that has 20 things to do with tofu! :) Some look amazing. Maybe I'll get brave. :)

    http://www.wholeliving.com/142637/healthy-tofu-main-course-recipes/@center/144884/healthy-dinners?xsc=eml_nat_2012_03_09&om_rid=NsjkHM&om_mid=_BPWhBmB8hNM5e2#/84227

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love for Google Alert to WARN DEREK about me....

    That's in my stalker-dreams-come-true life, LOL!

    Twenty things to do with tofu. Did that include BOMBING????

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL, Ruthy!! Spew alert needed here!!!! :-P

    ReplyDelete